The overall objective of the “Mentorship Support for the Next Generation of Roma Health Professionals” program, which complements the component for the provision of scholarships to Roma youth within the framework of Active Citizens Fund Bulgaria (ACF Bulgaria) and under the Financial Mechanism of the European Economic Area 2014-2021, is to provide mentoring support to Roma students pursuing a degree in medical specialties.
The project is based on the common values for respect for human dignity, liberty, democracy, equality, the rule of law, and human rights, including the rights of persons belonging to minorities.
The mentors are habilitated medical educators, general practitioners, medical specialists, health care and public health professionals.
The program encourages the scholars to organize or participate in small healthcare-related projects aimed at raising awareness in Roma communities, preventing diseases, and providing free health counseling. Mentors will have the opportunity to attend trainings to improve their mentoring skills and share experiences with their colleagues.
- Providing quality expertise by mentors
- Improving the academic performance of Roma students pursuing a degree in medical specialties
- Organizing the academic process in an efficient and effective manner so that the objectives of the program are achieved
- Ensuring specific practical competency is provided to the scholars
- Providing opportunities for participation in scientific conferences and forums that contribute to enhancing students’ academic performance and professional orientation
- Creation of a database of mentors who provide support to Roma students pursuing a degree in medical specialties
- Support to up to 240 Roma students pursuing a degree in medical specialties
- Improvement of the quality and the practical orientation of the scholars